Position: Research Assistant/Associate
Department: Research & Grants
Location: Doha, Qatar
The term of appointment will be up to 9 months with possible renewal, approximately starting on March 2019, for work on an externally sponsored research grant.
A full-time highly motivated Research Assistant/Associate (RA) is being sought for a research project, led by Dr. Eid Mohamed and funded by the Qatar National Research Fund, on the theoretical reconfiguration of Arab identities titled, "Transcultural Identities: Solidaristic Action and Contemporary Arab Social Movements." The project will operate within the Research & Grants Department led by the Director.
Research topics of special interest include but are not limited to the literatures and cultures of North America and the Arab world, the relationship between cultural and literary production and the socio-historical context in which they are produced. The project aims to explore how new artistic practices have transformed traditional themes such as chaos and uncertainty into new forms that draw on the immediacy of signifiers of transcultural identity, potentially leading to the articulation of new forms of citizen engagement and establishing the conditions of possibility for a political culture.
The project aims to produce a web-based archive of related materials, and the RA will be expected to significantly contribute to managing and maintaining this effort. The RA will be expected to arrange and describe in English and Arabic the archive collections and publications.
Typical responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct arrangement and description work for archival records including organizing content, describing this content and performing data entry.
- Conduct literature reviews and collect and analyze data,
- Prepare, maintain, and update website materials
- Assist with the proofreading and editing of articles, book chapters, and other written material
- Summarize project results and prepare progress reports for the LPI and funding agency
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations
- Organize seminars and public talks
- Perform other duties as assigned
An MA in a relevant academic field. Applications are welcomed from scholars with a variety of disciplinary backgrounds, who are interested in topics such as the media, culture and literatures of the Arab world, the relationship between cultural and literary production and the socio-historical context in which they are produced.
Work Experience Requirements:
- Experience with managing and processing born-digital archival materials.
- Experience processing archival collections
- Experience with spreadsheets, databases, and/or graphics software
- Familiarity with archival theory and best practices
- Punctuality and attention to details and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills (Windows, MS Office, web searching)
- Excellent proficiency in English and Arabic
- Experience in organizing academic events (seminars and public talks)
How to Apply:
For full consideration please provide:
- A brief cover letter stating the applicant's academic field, area of specialization, and a short summary of the proposed work during the appointment period. The cover letter should not exceed 2 single-spaced pages.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, but priority will be given to those received by March 17, 2019. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Salary and benefits are competitive at an international level.