The Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs (IFI) at AUB is seeking a full-time Research Assistant for a period of six months within the Education and Youth Policy Research Program starting September 2018.
This research position will primarily involve work on the “The Syrian Teacher Academy” initiative, which is a progressive year-long teacher-training program for novice and veteran Syrian teachers. The Research Assistant will be actively involved in desktop research and field activities related to the initiative, as well as coordinating its activities with research and field partners. The Research Assistant will also be responsible for administrative activities under the supervision and support of the Senior Program Coordinator.
About the Project: The Syrian Teacher Academy
This initiative falls within the scope of work of IFI’s Education and Youth Policy Research Program, which focuses on developing discourse on education issues and policy development with the aim of informing policy for improved education achievements. The Syrian Teacher Academy (STA) is an initiative that benefits the individual and the society through advancing fundamental concepts while tackling practical problems embedded in real-world settings. The STA aims to establish an independent Academy that works towards effecting transformational change through the investment in on-going professional development for Syrian teachers.
1. Conduct fieldwork; this includes coordinating and attending meetings and visits to ensure the implementation of project activities; prepare and/or edit minutes of meetings and process briefings.
2. Prepare and produce policy memos and working papers relevant to the project.
3. Organize activities relevant to the project such as advisory committee meetings, lectures, panel discussions, and workshops; and prepare event summaries.
4. Act as focal person, and communicate with, partners and relevant institutions; represent the program when necessary at meetings, workshops, and conferences.
5. With the support of AUB administrative staff, follow up on the administrative procedures regarding the project, including travel arrangements and expense reports; keep record of all project documents (hard and soft copies).
6. Prepare progress reports on the proceedings of the project when necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s degree in education studies, social sciences or other relevant fields. Candidates working towards their Master’s degree with relevant research experience will also be considered;
- 1 to 3 years work experience preferable;
- Excellent command of English and Arabic is a must (spoken, read and written). Prior research experience in Arabic is a plus;
- Good administrative and organizational skills;
- Ability to work pro-actively, independently and efficiently;
- Easy mobility in all regions across Lebanon;
- Experience using NVivo or other qualitative data analysis programs is a plus.
Applicants must send a cover letter, a CV, and the names of two references with full contact information to the Senior Program Coordinator, Dr. Hana A. El-Ghali, at email@example.com.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications are due by August 1, 2018.
Within the framework of Lebanese Law, the American University of Beirut is an equal opportunity employer.
This vacancy firt appeared on the IFI website.