The Beirut researcher will report to Beirut fellow Thanassis Cambanis, and will work closely with senior fellow Michael Wahid Hanna in TCF’s New York headquarters. This is a full-time position, with a start date as soon as possible in fall 2015. Salary is competitive. Please contact Thanassis at firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and references if interested.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Researching policy topics identified by TCF foreign policy fellows and preparing background memos.
- Conducting and translating field interviews and meetings with political actors and other subjects.
- Attending events and lectures and preparing memos summarizing key insights.
- Writing blog posts and other content for TCF’s website.
- Participating in the planning and execution of the Arab political reform and regional security project, including but not limited to the commission and production of two edited volumes and the organization and convening of private and public events in Beirut.
- Assisting with communications and outreach, including identifying stakeholders and promoting TCF’s work on social media.
- Providing administrative and logistical support for the foreign policy team.
- Fluent Arabic.
- Comfortable English.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Interest and knowledge of Arab politics and contemporary affairs. Background in Arab politics and/or security. 1-2 years of previous education or policy experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Apps, and an ability to troubleshoot basic technological problems.
- A commitment to progressive values and interest in TCF’s foreign policy research agenda.