CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
TRAINING SESSIONS FOR YOUNG RESEARCHERS in APPLIED SOCIAL RESEARCH
Application deadline: March 20th, 2020
The KnowWar Initiative is pleased to announce the call for applications for the “Applied Social Research Training Program”, a multi-phase training program for young researchers residing in Lebanon and Syria. The training sessions will be held in Beirut Lebanon.
The training sessions are a unique opportunity for young researchers to gain significant research experience overseen by academics and practitioners with extensive experience in academic and applied research methodologies. The goal of the training program is to strengthen participants critical reading, research and writing skills that will empower them to be effective citizens, advocates and researchers. Participants completing the program will emerge with a skill set that will enable them to pursue applied research individually or with research teams.
The training sessions will involve instruction in qualitative and quantitative methods and will expect participants to conceive and undertake an original research project. Participants will be exposed to cutting edge critical research methodologies in the applied social sciences. All aspects of the training program will be conducted under the supervision of faculty mentors.
The training sessions will take place over several months in three one-week sessions (one week in April, one week in June, and the last one in September). Because each training session will build on the previous one, participants accepted into the program are expected to attend all sessions.
- Masters degree or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in Arabic and ability to read English
- Must be able to travel to Lebanon
Goals of the training program
- Introducing participants to social science theory and methods
- Overview of economic development theory and practice
- Learn how to critically evaluate and respond to social science research
- Understand in depth the modern economic history of the Middle East
- Selected quantitative and qualitative methods for the social sciences will be trained
- Collaborate with peers and exchange views
- Incorporate learnings from training sessions into a research project
- Present research and receive feedback
Application process: 2-step selection process
- First step preliminary application
- Cover letter 500 words including: Personal biography, professional or career objectives and work experience, research experience, and what you hope to gain out of the training sessions.
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Second step: Select participants may be asked to submit a longer application that describes a specific potential research project related to Syria, Lebanon and Palestine.
Please submit the required documents to: email@example.com the subject heading: Training Sessions Application.
Deadline for submission of applications is:
March 20th, 2020
There is no fee for this training program. The project will cover all the costs.
Transportation, Travel and accommodation of all selected trainees will be covered.
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The KnowWar initiative examines war, wartime knowledge production, and debates about reconstruction. For more information about the KnowWar initiative please see: https://www.know-war.net/