This research position will primarily involve work on a project titled “the A26 Backpack”. The Project Coordinator and Researcher will be actively involved in the management of the project, coordinating its activities with research and field partners, as well as conducting research, field work, and other administrative activities under the supervision and support of the Senior Program Coordinator.
The consortium formed with the American University of Beirut and University of California Davis, the American Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the leading educational software firm, iQ4.com have developed the Article 26 Backpack. The A26 Backpack is a tool that has been designed and developed for refugee and vulnerable student educational mobility. This one-year research initiative aims at providing a way for refugees and other displaced and vulnerable people to safely store and share digital copies of documents like transcripts and diplomas, but also training certificates, CVs, and statements of purpose. Once images of these documents are put into the backpack, young people can ask that international credential experts evaluate them for possible use in applying to university, competing for scholarships or even finding a job. Over the course of the next year the consortium will begin implementing the Backpack in Lebanon to get the tool into the hands of 600 vulnerable and refuge young people.
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation and progress of projects according to approved objectives, plan of action and budget, and record progress; prepare a schedule for completion of the project in a systematic manner; ensure adherence to deadlines;
- Keep track of all stages of implementation of the projects by documenting and recording outcomes; identify challenges and suggest changes when needed;
- Follow up on the implementation of all project activities with relevant parties (local and international partners, RAs, consultants, etc.); manage RAs and interns where applicable;
- Assist and lead in research; this includes conducting literature reviews, assisting in developing research tools, conducting interviews and focus group discussions, transcription, and analysis of data;
- Conduct fieldwork when necessary; this includes meetings and visits to ensure the implementation of project activities; prepare and/or edit meeting minutes and process briefings;
- Prepare and produce policy briefs and working papers relevant to the projects;
- Organize activities relevant to the projects such as lectures, panel discussions, and workshops; produce event summaries;
- Act as focal person for, and communicate with, partners and relevant institutions; represent the Issam Fares Institute when necessary at meetings, workshops, and conferences;
- With the support of the Issam Fares Institute’s administrative staff, follow up on the administrative procedures regarding the project, including travel arrangements and expense reports; keep record of all project documents (hard and soft copies);
- Prepare progress reports on the proceedings of the project when necessary.
- Master’s degree in education studies, social sciences or a relevant field. Candidates working towards their master’s degree with relevant research experience will also be considered;
- 3 to 5 years of work experience preferable;
- Excellent command of English and Arabic is a must (spoken, read and written). Prior research experience in Arabic is a plus;
- Good administrative and organizational skills;
- Ability to work pro-actively, independently and efficiently;
- Easy mobility in all regions across Lebanon;
- Experience using NVivo or other qualitative data analysis programs is a plus.
Applicants must send a cover letter, a CV, and the names of two references with full contact information to the Senior Program Coordinator, Dr. Hana A. El-Ghali, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than October 25, 2017, with the subject, “Project Coordinator – EYPR1”.
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Within the framework of Lebanese Law, the American University of Beirut is an equal opportunity employer.